Road Safety Unit of LGED head quarter has the following responsibilities:
- Coordination for inclusion of road safetycomponent in all important road projects of LGED.
- Inclusion of road safety activities within LGED road maintenance programme.
- Organize brain storming sessions involving field Executive Engineers and all senior level engineers of LGED in Headquarters
- Collect accident data and analysis accident data for further research with collaboration of ARI-BUET
- Set up safety engineering units responsible for monitoring accidents, designing and implementing safety schemes, coordinating safety related activities, and auditing new road and traffic schemes.
- Produce Road Safety Engineering, Safety Audit Manual giving comprehensive advice on the process of identification of accident site, analysis and treatment, Safety Audit procedure with collaboration of ARI-BUET.
- Review road and traffic engineering standards with collaboration of ARI-BUET.
- Produce manuals giving road and traffic engineering design standards and advice.
- Develop guidelines, standards and designs for vulnerable road users (VRUs) i.e. pedestrians, cyclist, drivers of NMVs and passengers of public service vehicles.
- Install road signs and markings on all roads
- Preparation of safety education materials for road users.
- Addressing vulnerable road users by providing education, awareness and research in collaboration with ARI-BUET
Road Safety Unit at regional level has the following responsibilities:
- Assistant the ‘Road Safety Unit’ at LGED HQ to perform the responsibilities as per ‘National Road Safety Strategic Action Plan’
- Identifying the different accident black spots & chalk out the accident remedial measures for improving accident situation.
- Provide necessary support to Upazila Engineers of the region to perform his duties as the member secretary of ‘Upazila Road Safety Committee’.
- To collect, to analyze and to report accident data of accidents occurred in LGED road network. Also take necessary remedial measures about the accident spot.
- To make necessary coordination with Bangladesh Road Transport Authority (BRTA), Bangladesh Police, Administration and Local Government Institutes about road safety issues.
- Provide necessary training for LGED staff and LGI representatives at regional level regarding Road Safety Issues.