LGED library: more..
The Local Government EngineeringDepartment (LGED) library was established in 1884 under the Intensive RuralWorks Program (IRWP) with about 500 books. The purpose was to make technicalknowledge readily available to the LGED engineers. The library has two mainwings. One with technical books, journals, reports, project documents etc. andthe other contain maps that are needed for planning of rural infrastructure.This include District and Upazila (Thana) planning maps prepared by LGED; government topographic maps and other mapsrelated to small water scheme development. During the early eighties LGED withtechnical assistance of the UNDP and ILO updated the planning maps with thehelp of aerial photos, satellite images and ground truth by its own staff.These maps are then digitized and are being extensively used currently by theLGED GIS unit and other GIS users of the country. The map library stillcontains hard copies of district and upazila maps. The copies of the maps arefor sale at a nominal price. The aim is to assist different organizations andNGOs to develop development projects easily.